Monday, July 28, 2008

Red, Green and Yellow Light

Monday, July 28, 2008
Red Light Green Light Yellow Light is something we asked the teachers in our workshop to use. The idea, as I originally took it, was to write a "Green Light" if everything was going well, a Yellow if you were worrying about something, and a Red Light if you were pulling your hair out or completely lost.
I wasn't listening all too carefully when it was explained to them, and so maybe I was assuming it was the same as I'd heard it before when it really wasn't quite the same. Anyway, the teachers took it to mean that they should write about Each, rather than about One of those. That was not too surprising.
Even so, I was surprised when they started writing under Red Light that "Everything is going great". I can't seem to justify that surprise though. It simply wasn't the way I had originally looked at the prompt. If nothing was wrong, that's a Green Light. Not a Red Light. So why is it under the Red Light?
It makes absolute sense though, when you look at it as a prompt. When one thinks about (is prompted by the idea of) a Green Light, one looks for all the things that are going well. When one thinks about Yellow Light, one looks for all the things that are mildly annoying, and when one thinks about Red Light, one looks for all the things that have gone wrong. If nothing is found in Red Light, then all is well. And that's what's written.
I can stretch this and say that I looked at the prompt in an opposite way to the teachers. When I was asked to do this in SIM, I took it to mean "Look at everything that happened today and decide whether the day was positive, negative, or in the middle." The teachers took it as "Look for what was Good about the day, look at what was Bad about the day, and look at what was in the Middle about the day." I explicitly assigned values to events after I had found them, and they found events by the values they had already assigned.

Just Musing.

No comments:

 
To Edumacate © 2008. Design by Pocket