Tuesday, September 23, 2008

There's a Tiger in the Corner

Tuesday, September 23, 2008
I've decided. I'm going to leave the Reporter.

Here's the plan:
I'm going to wait until the beginning of next month to talk to my boss instead of just giving a sudden two weeks notice. I'll stay until they find someone to replace me, and I'll stay to train them. Then I'll leave.

Reasoning:
I don't hate the place, I'm only on the way to hating the place. They won't find a replacement for me in two weeks, so I need to give them more time than that, and it'll take them even longer to train anyone new. If they refuse this offer and say just go, that's ok to.
I don't want to ruin my relationship with my boss or any one else. I also don't want to ruin anyone else's relationship with anyone at the Reporter. If I tell them out of the blue that I'm getting out of here as fast as possible, that will at least put a strain on the time I have remaining and is essentially leaving in a huff. I don't want to do that, and I don't need to do that, so I'm not going to. I don't hate the place, I'm only on the way to hating it. Better to leave now than when I loath the Reporter and everything to do with it.

I ran into one of my highschool teachers on Saturday and told them that I was leaving. I told them that I was bored with it. "You get bored a lot." They should know. I left school because I was bored. That's only a partial reason, but it is true.
It made me think. If every few years I get bored, I probably won't keep a job for more than a few years, or stick with a project for more than a few years. First impression is that this is a bad thing. Maybe for most people it is. But when I think about it, it's not nearly as bad as it's made out to be.
It's scary because of the mind set that asks "What will happen when you get bored in another few years?" It carries connotations with it that would make anyone anxious. You don't have your life together. What are you going to do? How are you going to survive? Don't you want to do something meaningful with your life?
The thing is, I've conquered all these anxious, adrenaline-raising questions. They were All asked of me while teachers and parents, not always my own, tried to get me to "do something with my life". The answer is "I'll get another job when I leave this one." I don't know what I'm doing. No one else does either. I'm only different because I don't care anymore.

Interpreter One: "There's a tiger in the corner!"
Interpreter Two: "So what? You're going to die eventually."

No comments:

 
To Edumacate © 2008. Design by Pocket